Is it Expensive?
No. In fact it is one of the best value tests you can have done.
The cost of our genetic test is $299* and tests approx. 700,000 genes.
Just be cautious when comparing prices through companies like 23andme. Online it looks as though they charge you $99, but once you have added in shipping and handling, conversion rates and then our upload fee of $45, the cost will be $299.
Also, check before ordering any genetic test how many genes are being tested. A number of Australian companies only test a 100 or so genes. This will cost almost as much, if not more, than our test which screens 700,00 genes. Small genetic panels have very limited clinical use.
* subject to change without notice
At what age can you have a DNA test done?
From birth onwards. Our genetic test uses a swab and we can take a sample in anyone at any age.
Many genetic tests, such as 23andme and Ancestry require a saliva sample which is impossible to collect in infants and very young children.
Is it painful to get a genetic test?
No, not at all. It is one of the easiest tests you will ever have done.
We simply rub a swab along the inside of your cheek. It is quick, non-invasive and not at all painful.
Do I have to repeat my genetic test?
No. Once you have had your genetic test done you do not need to retest.
If you have not had your whole genome tested (6 billion genes), you can test genes you have not had tested to date. Due to the cost, most people do not currently test their whole genome, just certain genes. The 700,000 genes we screen is an enormous about of genetic data and focuses on the most important genes research has identified as related to your health and wellbeing.
Have many people have ordered their genetic test?
Its estimated that 25 million people worldwide have already had their genetic test done. This is predicted to increase to 100 million in 2 years with some industry leaders predicting two billion by the year 2025. What are you waiting for?
What does my genetic data look like?
Your genetic test contains an enormous amount of information. If you printed your genetic report it would take approximately 9,000 pages. Basically, your raw genetic data is a bunch of numbers and letters and looks like the example below. Not very helpful right.
Don’t worry. iDNA Health are the experts in clinical genetics. We make your complicated genetic data easy to understand and apply. We take this raw genetic data and generate your personalised health reports.
Your health reports explain in detail how a particular gene or genes impact on a key aspect of your health, but most importantly your reports provides you with clear advise on diet, supplements and lifestyle habits that are important for you to adopt based upon your genetic results.
Add Button Browse OUR HEALTH REPORT PACKAGES
Is my genetic test going to tell me I’m going to get a terrible disease?
Your genetic data can tell you lots of information. You choose what you want to know. And yes, there are genes that can tell you have an increased risk of certain disease such as Alzheimer’s disease. But we encourage you to look at it this way. You have those genetic risks whether you know them or not. By understanding your risks, you can now be proactive and put interventions into place to mitigate those risks.
At iDNA Health we focus on genes that control key pathways and functions and support your health and wellbeing, not just genes that look at disease risk.
What are the Advantages to Having a Genetic Test Done?
- You can begin to engage with personalised health, and research is clear that personalised health delivers better health outcomes
- You can be empowered and take charge of your health.
- You can stop guessing what you need to do when it comes to your diet, supplements, medications, exercise and lifestyle.
- You can choose what is best for you based upon your genetics.
Focus on the Cause and Stop Treating the Symptoms
- Your genetics enables you to focus on the cause, the drivers, rather than treat or suppress the symptoms.
- You can begin to focus on the key aspects of your health and stop spending time, effort and money on the things that give you very little benefit.
- The current medical model is symptom focused and disease focused.
- The healthcare of the future is predictive, preventive health care.
Become Your Own Expert
- You start to know what is best for you and stop relying on the health marketing machine to sell you what they think is best for you.
- You can now filter all that information through your genetic data.
The Most Significant Medical Advance to Date
- Genetic testing will offer us the most significant insight and benefit to our health we have ever had and it is here now.
- We are the first generation to be able to take advantage of this amazing tool.
Add Button Read what our patients say about Personalised Healthcare and Genetic Screening Success Stories section Power of Personalised health.
Is a genetic test covered by Medicare or private health insurance?
At this stage there is no rebate available from Medicare or your Private Health Insurance.
Will insurance companies use my genetic data against me?
- Health Insurance. The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) prohibits health insurance companies from using genetic data to make coverage or rate decisions.
- Life insurance. In Australia the Moratorium on Genetic Tests in Life Insurance came into effect July 2019 and will be in place until Jun 2024 when it will be reviewed, and means that life insurance companies cannot use genetic test results as part of insurance applications
We recommend you check with your relevant insurer if you have any questions.
Is my genetic data secure?
Yes, your genetic data is secure. Like all medical records your privacy is protected and rules and regulations are becoming more stringent with time.